Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why would my skin doctor give me ophthalmic ointment which is commonly used on dogs for my zits?

Here's the thing...


Whenever i have a huge breakout (due to a hormonal imbalance), i would go to this dermatologist in an aesthetic clinic (where they provide services like chemical peeling, botox, liposuction, collagen boost, etc) to laser on my huge zit. So every time after the doctor ';laser'; on my zit, his assistant would apply on a cream/ointment and also give some of it to me as a two day supply to be applied on the lasered zits, supposedly somekind of antibiotic/antiseptic cream i guess? So this time they gave it to me in its original packaging.


It's called ';Terramycin';: Ophthalmic Ointment. (by Pfizer)


I felt weird that i have to use an ophthalmic ointment for my skin, so just now i googled on ';terramycin ophthalmic ointment';. I was so surprised to see that all the search results conveys that this ophthalmic ointment is normally used on dogs. Even all the websites that shows up are all vet and pet websites.


I don't think this make sense at all. Can someone perhaps with a medical background or experience in this matter enlighten me with a convincing answer please?Why would my skin doctor give me ophthalmic ointment which is commonly used on dogs for my zits?
I think there's a poem in there somewhere...Why would my skin doctor give me ophthalmic ointment which is commonly used on dogs for my zits?
I think this is a perfectly legit question to ask your doctor. However many meds are used in both animals and humans (after all we are in the family of animals!) My dog took the same anticonvulsant medication as many people, and when he sprained his neck he received the same stuff I have to take for arthritis. But it is a great question for the Doc.
Many medicines used by humans are also used on animals. I've had to fill prescriptions at the pharmacy for my dog. How embarrassing when they ask if---- will know how to use this.
I don't have a perfect answer for you, but I have experienced a similar situation. I take allergy medicine to reduce my itchiness which is commonly used for dogs and cats, and also used as an anti-anxiety drugs in humans.





There are many drugs that are cross-species. :) They work for us, and for other animals...yes, it's weird to be prescribed something for a different animal but if it works I wouldn't be too worried. Next time you get your prescription I would ask the pharmacist. Pharmacists, more often than not, know more about specific medications than doctors. (It's their responsibility to know, where as doctors also deal with bodies as well...not just the meds.)





Hopefully you get a clearer answer. :)
Dear young lady,





The question is what has been done about your hormone imbalance which seems to be the cause of your problem.


Those who have so far replied are quite correct in what they say regarding your treatment. I have suffered from Restless Leg Syndrome for some twenty five years and I control it by taking Alzheimer tablets, though I am not suffering from any form of dementia. I have even taken horse cough mixture when I have had a bad cough with no ill effect, though I do have to tuck my tail in now and again and I have to control my neighing as it wakes the neighbors.





Robert
  • microsoft office
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    secured loan