Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why would my skin doctor give me an ophthalmic ointment which is commonly used on dogs for my zits?




Here's the thing...


Whenever i have a huge breakout (due to a hormonal imbalance), i would go to this dermatologist in an aesthetic clinic (where they provide services like chemical peeling, botox, liposuction, collagen boost, etc) to laser on my huge zit. So every time after the doctor ';laser'; on my zit, his assistant would apply on a cream/ointment and also give some of it to me as a two day supply to be applied on the lasered zits, supposedly somekind of antibiotic/antiseptic cream i guess? So this time they gave it to me in its original packaging.


It's called ';Terramycin';: Ophthalmic Ointment. (by Pfizer)


I felt weird that i have to use an ophthalmic ointment for my skin, so just now i googled on ';terramycin ophthalmic ointment';. I was so surprised to see that all the search results conveys that this ophthalmic ointment is normally used on dogs. Even all the websites that shows up are all vet and pet websites.


I don't think this make sense at all. Can someone perhaps with a medical background or experience in this matter enlighten me with a convincing answer please?Why would my skin doctor give me an ophthalmic ointment which is commonly used on dogs for my zits?
I'll kiss them, and make it all better...Why would my skin doctor give me an ophthalmic ointment which is commonly used on dogs for my zits?
Many pharmaceutical products are used both in human and veterinary practices. (One very promising arthritis drug developed for human use has a very unfortunate side effect in turning one's skin very yellow, and was thus removed from the market for humans. It is now a primary and excellent drug for arthritis in dogs, for which the side effect doesn't matter. My Yorkie takes it!) About your situation, you can ask the doctor and ask your pharmacists about this.
I have heard of oral use of tetracyclines (terramycin is a tetracycline) for acne.





The theory is that it acts by 'decreasing the fatty acid content of the sebum'. But studies do not really support its use that well.





Topical tetracycline is very cheap, it might help prevent infection after surgery, but being hygenic is probably just as good, alot of resistant strains of bacteria out there against it.





usual dose is 250mg orally twice a day.
Alot of medicines used on people are also used on animals and livestock. Its not that uncommon. My dog has a hydrocortisone cream for a skin condition. I use one, too, for my skin, when I get into something that breaks me out. If it works on the dog, it will probably work on you, too. Its nothing to worry about.





I looked it up, its to keep an infection from getting into your blemish.
I work at a shelter for animals and most of the medicines we use dogs and cats use them too' and the only difference is the price' as animal owners pay 50 percent more' than humans.I have some antibiotics the same kind my cats have' and the same milligrams and if i was not hip to ' it would of freaked me out too........Your fine' but if in doubt' call and ask.
There are a lot of products made for animals that work well for people. If you think about the product probably was intended for people first and then realized that it would work on animals. A lot of meds can be used both ways. I wouldn`t worry about. it. Unless you are worried that you might grow a tail or start barking, I would still use it. What you should do is ask you Dr just incase he made a mistake.
medicines used on humans are also used on animals


It is normally just the dosage that is different





Ointments can be used on humans and dogs for different things





here is one that talks about it treating acne


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terramycin
doctors are giving these medicine to you for good and if it doesnt work well till 6 months go and find another doctor.





the doctor you are visiting may be working for money not for peoples good will.
There are many, many drugs that are used for both humans and animals - Most antibiotics are for use in both, just in different strengths.
maybe your chemist can shed a lil light on this for you,i have pets,that have the same meds as us at times..you can ring the pharmacy and ask..
because he is a crack head


dunno sometimes they give you strange stuff


like the pill


i was given a tablet that was supposed to clear up urinary infections which worked really well





if it works just go with it
He is ridiculing you. Go find another doctor.
Has he noticed you're human, or is he blind as well?
Bow Wow~!!!
call your doctor and ask him, i'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.
Well, if it makes you feel any better it contains as its active ingredients two mild antibiotics to kill bacteria; and if it is mild enough for a dog's eyes, it is probably mild enough for your skin.





However, I would be concerned and ask you dermatologist doctor if this is approved by the FDA for use on human skin. You might also check his/her medical license.





The good news is, if it is working for you and you need more you can probably buy it from one of the online pet supply companies at a fraction of the normal cost without going back to your dermatologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
secured loan